About Sonoma Water:
- Sonoma Water was created as a special district in 1949 by the California Legislature to act as the local sponsor for federal flood protection and water supply projects known collectively as the Russian River Project.
- Sonoma Water is a wholesale water supplier to nine cities and water districts that serve more than 600,000 residents in portions of Sonoma and Marin counties.
- Sonoma Water manages and operates the Russian River water supply system conjunctively with the Army Corps of Engineers.
- Sonoma Water also manages eight sanitation districts and zones in Sonoma County.
- The mission of Sonoma Water is to effectively manage the resources in our care for the benefit of people and the environment in our service area.
- Sonoma Water is a special district. The Sonoma County Board of Supervisors acts as Sonoma Water's Board of Directors.
Serving over 600,000 residents in Sonoma and Marin counties, Sonoma Water is the primary provider of drinking water. Sonoma Water's direct customers are eight cities and water districts in Sonoma and Marin Counties to whom we sell water, each of which help make decisions about water supply issues that affect their customers by participating in the Water Advisory Committee. Our customers are:
- City of Cotati
- City of Petaluma
- City of Rohnert Park
- City of Santa Rosa
- City of Sonoma
- The Town of Windsor
- Marin Municipal Water District
- North Marin Water District
- Valley of the Moon Water District