Sanitation Districts and Zones

Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP)

LIHWAP offers a one-time payment to qualifying low-income households to help pay past due water or wastewater (sewer) bills. There is no date restriction for when the overdue amount occurred. The size of a benefit varies depending on the past due balance of the household’s residential water and wastewater bills. Households that qualify could reduce their water and/or wastewater charges by up to $2,000.

How do I apply?

Households can apply for LIHWAP assistance through the local LIHWAP service provider, North Coast Energy Services. Applications must be returned directly to the service provider.

North Coast Energy Services
1100 Coddingtown Ctr
  Santa Rosa, CA 95401
  (707) 495-4417
(707) 497-3010 (Fax)

Apply Here

For any questions regarding the LIHWAP Program or eligibility requirements, please contact the service provider.

Sonoma Water manages and operates eight different sanitation zones and districts throughout Sonoma County.  Learn more about each district or zone by clicking on a link below. 

Frequently Asked Questions:

No answers matched your search
What permits do I need to connect to agency operated sanitation facilities?

Contact Permit Sonoma's Project Permitting and Engineering Records requests, at 707-565-2268. The staff there can provide you the permitting requirements for connection to agency operated sanitation facilities.  Their website is:

Why do my rates seem to increase every year?

Sonoma Water manages the system to minimize rate increases while ensuring the infrastructure will be in place to handle present and future needs. The costs of operating the treatment plant and collection system, as well as paying for repairs, maintenance, and replacement of worn out infrastructure must be paid by the users of the system.

Why do I pay the same as my neighbor with 4 children even though I live alone?

Sonoma Water does not have a cost effective method of measuring usage since we do not directly deliver your water to you and the cost of installing meters on the sewer system is prohibitive. Sonoma Water also does not have the staffing to track the number of people per household which can change frequently. This leads to the need for a flat billing method per ESD (used by 84% of similar entities in California) which is also easy and inexpensive to administer.

I am a new property owner, how do I change the name on my sanitation bill?

​​​​​The property follows the assessor number not the customer name so no need to do anything.

How do I pay for my sanitation charges?

​​​​Sanitation charges appear on the property tax invoice annually.

Do I pay sanitation monthly?

​​​​Sanitation charges appear on the property tax invoice.

I want to add an accessory dwelling unit, can I get a shared lateral?

Please contact Permit Sonoma at 707-565-1900

What rates are based on volumetric and fixed calculations?
  • South Park County Sanitation District water is reported from City of Santa rosa or is based on “like type” properties if on well water. For more information please visit, Santa Rosa Water.

  • Sonoma Valley County Sanitation District water is reported from City of Sonoma or Valley of the Moon Water District for residential or based on fixed rates if on well water. Commercial is based on fixed rate only. For more information please visit SVCSD Rates.

All other sanitation districts and zones have fixed calculations.